Modifying Your Condo/HOA Governing Documents: When It’s Necessary and How to Accomplish It With Less Stress
An HOAleader.com Webinar for Condo and HOA Boards
Thursday, November 16, 2023
2-3 p.m. Eastern
If you’re like most condo/HOA board members, when you’ve read your declaration, your bylaws, or some other governing document, you’ve thought: “Wait, that can’t be right.”
Perhaps your documents are so out of date they mention things you legally can’t do these days, such as prohibit ownership based on race or ban all signs or flags or satellite dishes.
Or perhaps your community has morphed, and you’d like to modify some of the documents to permit owners more latitude or to restrict owners’ rights. Parking, rentals, and pets are all hot-button issues today, and your documents may need to be updated to reflect that.
Or maybe you need to change your documents to remove provisions you don’t enforce and that you and your owners would prefer you not enforce anymore.
Whatever the challenge with your documents, it’s important to ensure that any changes you make are done purposefully and properly.
Join us for a foundational webinar on November 16 for an A-to-Z guide on what to know if you’re considering modifying your governing documents. You’ll hear from two community association lawyers with extensive hands-on experience advising associations.
- How to identify what should be changed in your governing documents and what’s probably not ideal but perhaps not critical to change
- Specific examples of red light, yellow light, and green light provisions that you must change, that you probably should change, and that you can probably live with
- General requirements for changing each of the documents in the hierarchy in governing documents, from your declaration to your bylaws down to your rules
- A step-by-step overview of the process to follow in modifying governing documents, including timelines (spoiler alert: the timeline can be long!)
- Tips for educating your owners on why changes are necessary and getting their buy-in when their approval is required
- Best practices for passing amendments to your governing documents
- Tips to make the entire effort less daunting, less time-consuming, and less contentious
- And much more!
In just 60 minutes, you’ll hear the most important information you need to assess and update your governing documents to make your job and your owners’ lives better. Register now for this informative event for community association board members.